Jesus left the joy of the Passover celebration to embrace the agony of His mission. Prayer helped Jesus to not succumb to temptation, and demonstrated to the disciples closest to Him the importance of prayer.
Read Luke 22:39-46.
1. What emotions did Jesus experience? What did He mean by “this cup”? Why do your think He wanted to avoid the cross? Was it the fear of physical suffering or something else?
2. What seems to be the relationship between temptation and prayer? What is Jesus’ temptation in this passage? How does prayer help Him to defeat it?
Reflect: What was one of your most difficult times during the past year? How
much time did you spend praying about the situation? How did God strengthen you in it?
Read Luke 22:47-53.
1. Why was there such a large, armed crowd? What did they fear?
- What did the disciple think Jesus would want them to do? Why? Which disciple
actually used his sword (John 18:10)? Is Peter willing at this point to follow
through on his statement in verse 33? What does this say about Peter?
- What did Jesus say to his opponents? Why was it important for him to clarify
the fact that he was not a rebel leader? What did he mean by “this is your hour”?
Reflect: How would you compare Jesus’ attitude and actions with those of his disciples? His enemies? What do you appreciate most about Jesus here? What could you apply from this story to your life?
Read Luke 22:54-65.