5×5 readings for this week: James
Warm-up: What is your favorite thing about quarantine and your least favorite thing about quarantine?
Read: James 1-5
Background: It is widely accepted that James, the half brother of Jesus, wrote this book. Though he was not a follower of Christ during Jesus’ earthly ministry (John 7:3-5), after he saw the post resurrection appearance of Jesus, he believed that He was the Christ (Acts 1:14; 1 Corinthians 15:7). James later lead the church in Jerusalem (Galatians 2:9,12; Acts 1:14, 21:18; 1 Corinthians 15:7). James focuses on the themes of wisdom, faith, and moral and ethical conduct. James continually challenges us with obedience to the law of God, showing believers that their obedience to God’s moral standards is an indication of a living faith.
1. James 1:22-25 | James encourages us to be doers of Gods word and not hearers only. In what ways have you been a hearer only and in what ways have you been a doer? Why is it important to be a doer?
2. James 2:14-19 | James explains that faith without works is dead. If we are not saved through works, why are works important?
3. James 3:8-12 | James challenges us not to bless our Heavenly Father and then use the same tongue to curse people made in His image. Why is it so hard to tame our tongues? Why is it so important to do?
4. James 4:5-8 | James reminds us that God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble. What does God humbling us look like? What is promised when we draw near to God?
5. James 5:13-16 | James tells us to pray at all times and confess our sins to one another. Why should we confess our sins to one another? Why is it so hard to do?
Close in prayer: How can we pray for, encourage, and support each other this week?
5×5 readings for next week: Matthew 1-5
Thanks to our awesome Growth Groups leaders and volunteers who make this awesome community happen every week! For anyone wanting to join a small group or get involved making a difference, contact us so we can help you make that happen. We are FOR our city–Ridgeland, MS!