Jesus has the power to forgive sin.
- Who were your four closest friends in high school or college?
- What are the most common ways people describe Jesus?
- What do the common descriptions reveal about a person’s expectations of Jesus?
Read Luke 5:17-19 Hope Demonstrated
- What does the fact that “Pharisees” and “scribes” were listening to Jesus teach reveal about Him?
- How might the Pharisees and teachers have felt in verses 17-19?
- Jesus offers hope to those who seek Him. In verse 19 how did the men display the power of hope?
- How is the power of hope seen today?
What obstacles do we place between Jesus and people who seek Him?
- How does ourhope in Christ influence our efforts to bring people to Him?
Read Luke 5:20-24 Forgiveness Granted
- What do you think the Pharisees and scribes were feeling in v. 20? vv. 21-23
- How does Jesus’ true identity come in conflict with people’s preconceived ideas about Him?
- How can a person’s perceived need open the door for God to do greater things?
- If you were in the crowd that day, how would you have responded to the men’s act?
- What need would you like to bring to Jesus?
Read Luke 5:25-26 Praise Offered
- How does experiencing God’s forgiveness move people to worship Him?
- How would you react if you saw a paralyzed person healed by the power of God?
- What prevents us from recognizing God’s power today?
- Who are you most like in the story? Why?