Pastor Steve shared a prayer he wrote in the front of his first study Bible in 1977: Even as I want to believe, with all my heart, every promise of God found in this Book, I want also, with all my heart, to carry out every command of God found in this Book.
• What promises or commands in the Bible have enhanced your life?
The 66 books of the Bible were written by 44 authors over a span of 1500 years. With all of this variety in the Bible’s creation, it is fascinating that one theme unites all 66 books: Christ as our Redeemer. The created order in the Garden of Eden (Genesis) will be the restored order at the fulfillment of God’s kingdom (Revelation). The Divine intent is for God’s People to be in God’s Place enjoying unlimited access to God’s Presence.
The Bible—the Word of God—has a transformative power.
Read 2 Timothy 3:15-17.
• What are the bold attributes of Scripture that Paul affirms to Timothy as
well as to us?
Among the many benefits of the Word are nourishment (Matthew 4:4, Jeremiah 15:16), discernment (Psalm 119:105), and hope (Romans 15:4).
- Do you recall some ways the Word has provided nourishment, discernment or hope to you?
- How does study and meditation on Bible passages help you to keep in balance the four spokes of the Disciple’s Wheel (Prayer, Word, Church/ Fellowship, or Witness)?
- What specific actions could we take this week to rekindle our hunger for the Word of God?